Venus Williams, the tennis icon who had received an entrance from Joker to play the BNP Paribas Open, will not be part of the tournament after all.
According to A report by Arcy Maine on Espn.comWilliams was taken by the announcement that she was an entrance to Joker at Indian Wells. Williams said during an event in Denmark on Sunday that she was unable to play the BNP Paribas Open due to other commitments.
“No, I’m not playing (in Indian Wells),” Williams told the crowd during the event entitled “An evening with Venus Williams” in Denmark in Næstved. “In fact, I found the announcement super fun because, I don’t know, people seem to be happy, so I said to myself:” Maybe I will just go with it, I don’t know. “I’m not going. (But) I don’t play.
“I discovered the Joker when you did it. I say. And I love the Indian Wells, I would love to be there and if I could accept it, I would have said” yes “. But I have I already made commitments.
The tournament’s social media account relayed a message from the director of the Tommy Haas tournament on Sunday which confirmed that Williams does not accept the offer.
“Our team has been informed that Venus does not accept the Joker this year. We wish Venus all the best and hope to see her back in the Indian wells in the future, “said the message awarded to Haas.
It has been 44 years old for almost a calendar year, played in a WTA event. She played in BNP Paribas Open last year, then the following event in Miami, but she has not played since.
It was announced on Wednesday that Williams with his major colleague from the Petra Kvitova championship would be part of Joker’s entries during this year’s event. The complete list of jokers, which will now include a new name, will be revealed closer to the start of the event which takes place from March 2 to 16.
This article originally appeared on Palm Springs Desert Sun: Venus Williams will not be part of BNP Paribas Open in Indian wells after all