Former world n ° 1 from Williams will not play the BNP Paribas Open next month at Indian Wells after refusing his invitation to the Joker, the tournament Announced on Sunday.
“Our team has been informed that Venus does not accept the Joker this year,” said Tommy Haas tournament director said in a press release. “We wish Venus all the best and hope to see her back in the Indian wells in the future.”
The announcement of Indian Wells comes shortly after Williams told the Podcast “Tennis Weekly” that she would not return to the court during the event.
“I don’t play” she said. “I’m going to be abroad. I will not be there.
The 44 year old man had been invited last week To play the tournament in what would have been his first event since his loss in the first round of the Miami Open in March 2024.
She has not won a match on tour since August 2023.
She appeared nine times to Indian Wells, with her first return in 1994.
Williams, who reached the semi-finals three times, had boycotted the tournament between 2002 and 2016 after his sister Serena was hook by the crowd in the 2001 final, the family also claiming that they were submitted to racist abuses.
During his last appearance at Indian Wells, Williams lost in his first match against Nao Hibino from Japan.
Although it is no longer the strength it was in the past, Williams has had a sparkling career which includes seven chelem Simple titles, 14 Grand Slam titles in doubles and two titles of mixed doubles of the Grand Colam.
The former world n ° 1 also won gold in the single tournament at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and won three gold medals in the double tournament in 2000, 2008 and 2012.
In recent seasons, however, Williams has barely played on the tour due to a certain number of injuries and has slipped to the 974th in the world.
The BNP Paribas Open will take place between March 2 and 16.
For more news and CNN information, create a account Cnn.com