THE mixed doubles This year competition We open will be held earlier than normal in the hope of presenting some of the tennis“The biggest stars, but the decision also angered players’ anger.
Traditionally staged alongside other singles and doubles events in the United States in Flushing Meadows, this year Mixed doubles will take place on August 19 and 20 – Several days before the planned start of the tournament.
The justification is that the best players will then be available to appear in the mixed doubles, attracting more fans and allowing the broadcasters to highlight the competition before the start of the singles game of the main draw on August 24.
Among those who will be angry with change, the title champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori, who described it as “pseudo-exhibition” and “deep injustice” which “lack of respect (s) a whole category of players” .
In a joint post On Instagram, the Italian pair added: “In our opinion, making decisions that follow the logic of profit are deeply wrong in certain situations.
“Last year, winning the United States Open Ensemble was one of the best moments in our career. We felt incredible heat and support from Italian fans and that made us really happy.
“The mixed double is not very well known, it is true, but everything that is part of a slam competition – the story behind each result – is unique and it is a great honor to be part of it.
“Returning from the following year and seeing your names engraved in the Trophy Board is one of the most special feelings of our sport. You realize that you will remember forever like a small part of this important tournament. »»
Errani and Vavassori were not the only ones to deplore how double specialists would be neglected in the new format. Jan Zieliński, the double mixed double champion in Poland, said that there was “no communication with the players, no thought behind what it means for the career of peoples, no respect for history and the traditions »in a job on X.
CNN contacted the United States Tennis Association (USA) – which organizes the US Open – for additional comments.
In the new format, eight of the 16 teams will be selected according to their simple combined classification, while eight will be joker entries.
There will also be a different rating system, which includes sets played for four games (except for the final), a score without AD (for example, the point after Deuce has won the game) and a break ’10 -point decisive equality in place of a third set. All matches will be played at the Arthur Ashe stadium or at the Louis Armstrong stadium, the two main courts of the US Open.
The best American players Jessica Pegula and Taylor Fritz praised the change in a press release from the US Open, the two players saying that they were looking forward to the chance to play in the mixed doubles this year.
The press release noted that “fans, players, partners and broadcasters will all benefit from the advantages of this blended double mixed format”, adding: “The best players in the world will have the opportunity to compete for this title and the Handbag of several million dollars without having to juggle mixed doubles with their singles and their duplicate commitments. »»
The winning team will receive a price of $ 1 million, a significant increase in the $ 200,000 Awarded to Errani and Vavassori last year.
“By giving the competition its own spotlights, we raise double mixed to put an even more important accent on the incredible talents that we have through sport,” said the executive and CEO of the USTA, Lew Sherr.
“We are working in close collaboration with the best players, many of whom are impatient to be part of this historic change. And having our radio partners, including ESPN, on board to present this innovation only adds to excitement, ensuring that fans around the world will be able to attend these elite athletes to team up and redefine the game together. “”
For more news and CNN information, create a account Cnn.com