The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz discusses Brady’s criticism of NFL mediocrity.
Greg Cote may not have been in the studio for Tuesday’s edition of The Dan Le Batard show with Stugotz but there was still a Back In My Day segment, courtesy of Tom Brady!
Brady recently joined Stephen A. Smith’s podcast and he let loose like he certainly never did while he was in New England.
First of all, Mike says Brady looks HUGE! The year away from football, if it really turns out to be a year away (you can never rule out a return), has done wonders for Brady! The tan, the skin, Mike says he looks AMAZING!
Getting back to the topic at hand, Mike says Brady insisted on not throwing it in the middle of the field with Ray Lewis hiding. However, as Chris Cote points out, few players are on the level of the defenders Brady mentions in his take. Dan says he wants to say what he’s talking about, but it’s clear that Brady has WAY more expertise than anyone listening on what he’s watching. Not to mention, as Mike points out, the longevity to play in several different eras of the NFL.
But, as Dan notes, Brady is like all the retired old players who complain about how it was better in his day. And to be fair, Dan says that also ignores the fact that many of these rules Brady is speaking out against are a direct result of Brady’s injury. They changed the rules even though he was the one who got injured! What he’s complaining about, Dan says, is something that was legislated by the NFL to protect him more than anyone else!
Mike asks a poignant question: Did we miss Brady this year? Sure, we’re usually all excited to just watch football, but he points out that a lot has been said about primetime broadcasts. Mike has a theory that we have a lot of under prime time games and a lot of bad prime time games, in part because he’s not in the league anymore. Mike misses Brady. A LOT. He’s not necessarily missing him in Tampa specifically, but just the NFL in general, which makes the games feel like an event.
Dan says he doesn’t watch the NFL and think about the things Brady was thinking in that clip. Dan doesn’t think he’s looking at a mediocre product. He thinks he’s watching the product at the height of athleticism and human precision and also trying to navigate and legislate the maze of all those injured players. It’s beyond dangerous, Dan says, it’s not sustainable to keep human beings healthy for an entire NFL season.
Additionally, Mike points out that no one wants to admit that defenses are getting better. The defenses, he said, were built to stop what they see in KC, the read option, etc. You can only dominate for so long, Mike says, and Tom Brady is the only person to dominate across eras. It’s a great time for defenses, and it’s just not sexy, Mike says, although he points out that nothing can be as sexy as Tom.
Meanwhile, Jalen Carter almost made history on a play that generally has ABSOLUTELY NO plot…
Local time: Have you ever caulked a hole?
- The crew asks if you ever need a show with your ice cream, Stu owes a bunch of punishments and has to pay for them, and Billy makes a potentially *unfair* decision as the iron-fisted commissioner of the “BOD.” Plus, Travis Kelce needs to start focusing on the football, the Chiefs pass catchers all seem to have butter fingers, and Jalen Carter almost made the most incredible play in NFL history. Plus, Jimmy Butler is bringing back the skyhook?
The Big Suey: TaylorCyst?
- Friend of the show Brad Williams was looking for him on the jumbotron at the Denver Broncos game, Stugotz clearly isn’t listening and Tom Brady has become “the NFL guy of my era.” Plus, Ron Magill joins us to answer all animal-related questions and promote his new book “Pride Of A Lion”. Lucy also talks about her experience at Clemson this weekend and the weird things that happen on game day.
Hour 1: Are you afraid of Tim Boyle?
- Jim Harbaugh was weird at a press conference. Chris Cote is apparently afraid of the unknown. This stranger… is Tim Boyle. Commanders only had cold water for visitors’ showers. Is Apple TV a place where celebrities go to hide? And Dan is old.
Hour 2: Too many candles for Joe Biden
- Le Batard, Stugotz and the crew discuss Joe Biden’s birthday cake, Angel Reese’s disappearance from the LSU women’s basketball team, and Brian Stelter joins the show. Also, we go to the Bucket of Death.
Postgame Show: Do people like Manning’s casting?
- Why is LeBron recruiting Jeremiah Smith for Ohio State? Is there any real estate for Kevin Hart to host a ManningCast type show for the NBA?
The crown is yours: Sign up for DraftKings and discover the ultimate host for gaming and betting experiences!