UPDATE: NASCAR confirmed Wednesday evening that Dippel has been reinstated. No additional details were provided.
Tyler Dippel took to his Facebook page to explain why he was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR last week.
Although NASCAR has not made public the reasons for the suspension, Fox Sports reported that Dippel was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance on August 18 in his hometown of Wallkill, New York. Dippel was stopped for driving more than 80 mph in a 65 mph zone and when they gave consent to search the vehicle, troopers found a backpack containing a pill bottle containing amphetamine and dextroamphetamine – commonly found in Adderall.
Dippel appeared in court this morning and said the charges had been dropped. Here is the full message from his Facebook page:
“I would like to begin by apologizing to my fans, Young’s Motorsports, NASCAR, Gander Outdoors, our partners, and my family and friends, for the heartache this situation has caused. Due to an ongoing investigation, we were unable to comment on the matter until today.
“On August 18, while driving home from the Orange County Fair Speedway, I was stopped for changing lanes without a proper signal. The officer asked my passenger and I if we had taken drugs and we said “no” – because we hadn’t. The policeman continued to question us then asked to search the vehicle, to which I agreed because I had nothing to hide. In the back of my truck was a friend’s backpack that was not with us and contained his prescription medications. Because it was in my vehicle, I was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance. Upon my appearance ticket, I contacted NASCAR within hours to inform them of the situation. Due to NASCAR’s rules and code of conduct, they have decided to suspend me indefinitely. I respect their decision.
“Early this morning in Wallkill Town Court, the charges against me in this case were dropped. We presented proof that the prescription was not mine and the person the prescription belonged to accepted responsibility for leaving them in my vehicle.
“Me and my team will be working closely with NASCAR to hopefully be reinstated so I can be back in the No. 02 Young’s Motorsports Chevrolet. I take full responsibility for my actions.
“Thank you again to everyone who supported me. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.
NASCAR suspended Dippel before the Gander Outdoors Truck Series race in Canada, citing a violation of the code of conduct and actions detrimental to the sport. Under this, NASCAR can take into account a driver’s behavioral history and Dippel, according to Fox Sports, was charged with misdemeanor reckless driving in March during the Virginia race weekend.
DJ Kennington drove the No. 02 Young’s Motorsports Chevrolet to a 15th-place finish Sunday. The Truck Series is next in action on September 13 in Las Vegas.