In NASCAR, the focus is not yet on the playoff races themselves, as there are only three events remaining to crown a new Cup champion.
But as the series heads to Homestead-Miami Speedway, the conversation about safety concerns has shifted to retaliation and what crosses the line. Bubba Wallace was suspended for Sunday’s race For intentionally destroying defending Cup champion Kyle Larson last week in a dangerous act of retaliation that NASCAR and most of Wallace’s competitors found at the finish line.
Retaliation has been a consistent problem in NASCAR’s three national series this season, with drivers seeking revenge on the track or afterward in physical confrontations. Wallace pushed Larson several times after their crash.
Wallace’s incident brought together fellow Toyota driver Christopher Bell, who was eligible for the championship and fell to last of the eight drivers in the playoffs after his crash in Las Vegas last Sunday. Wallace had to apologize to Bell and the entire group of Toyota teams and drivers.and the incident now follows NASCAR in the middle race of the third round of the playoffs.
“I really think the penalties need to be severe,” said Chase Briscoe of Stewart-Haas Racing. “I feel like over the last couple of years it’s gotten a little out of hand just because I think guys get comfortable doing certain things and know there’s not going to be probably no major repercussions.
“I think (NASCAR) is trying to put the ball back in their court where they probably have a little more control. Which I think is probably necessary. Look at how we run at the end of these road races, there’s often no respect, things like that.
Briscoe roared his way into the round of 16 two races ago on the final lap on Charlotte’s hybrid road course/oval with a frantic last gasp that knocked Larson out of the playoffs by two points. But NASCAR alleged that Briscoe’s SHR teammate, Cole Custer, deliberately blocked traffic to help Briscoe gain positions, and SHR’s appeal of his $200,000 fine and crew chief’s indefinite suspension of Custer will be heard next week.
Briscoe isn’t the only one who believes NASCAR needed to take action following the Wallace incident. Veteran Kevin Harvick published on social networks the sanctioning body must “protect us from ourselves”. Harvick admitted he had his share of retaliatory incidents.
Harvick said NASCAR needs strong leadership to get drivers back in line.
“I was guilty of many of the things you see happening, but I also had an iron fist from (NASCAR Vice President) Mike Helton waiting for me after I acted like a fool,” Harvick wrote. “I believe an iron fist is needed moving forward and that will trickle down.”
BELL DISAPPOINTMENT
Bell was the most consistent driver in the first round of the playoffs, but fell short in the second round and was pushed into a must-win situation in Charlotte to advance to the round of 16.
He’s now last in the standings after crashing out in the Wallace-Larson fight, and the Joe Gibbs Racing driver is feeling pretty down on his chances of making the championship finale. Only four drivers will race for the Cup title in Phoenix in the season finale next month. and Joey Logano last week took first place.
“It’s definitely been the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, pretty much back to back,” Bell admitted. “But that being said, I feel like I’ve always done a really good job throughout my career of managing my emotions whenever it comes time to perform at the level that I need to perform at.”
Bell had said he was deflated before winning in Charlotte and believed the victory gave him new momentum to try to win the title. Now he knows he’s a long way from making the championship four, as he’s below the cut line with William Byron, Chase Briscoe and Ryan Blaney.
“Just sad and disappointed because we had it in our hands, or at least we had a good finish in Vegas well within our reach,” he said. “We did everything we needed to do to put ourselves in position to run for a championship in Phoenix and it’s over now. It’s going to be very, very difficult to get there.
“I feel more optimistic now that time has passed, and I feel good about Homestead and competing for a win at Homestead. But I was really very sad. Very, very sad.”
Joe Gibbs Racing, meanwhile, recently signed the 27-year-old to a multi-year contract extension.
BUTTS
NASCAR is scheduled to hold a third consecutive safety briefing with drivers Saturday at Homestead. The briefings began in Charlotte two weeks ago to address safety concerns surrounding the new Next Gen car. Alex Bowman and Kurt Busch are both sidelined with concussions. …Tyler Reddick, who has already been eliminated from the playoffs, is the FanDuel favorite win on Sunday. … Rivals believe Denny Hamlin should be a strong contender, based on an open test held at Homestead last month.
___
More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports